Sunday, October 9, 2011

Magneffects

This upcoming trend of Magnetic nail polish is SOOOO COOL! I have been over crackle for a long time and hopefully this will replace it soon enough. It's so easy and the effects really are fantastic. I decided I was going to make a video because it's a process that still pictures don't do justice. Although I was originally going to do a cheap, quick tutorial, I live with a filmmaker and he wouldn't let me get away with my iPhone video. So check out this great product and finishing result (Here is a link if video imbed isn't working):




Magneffects is made in Italy, but there are online retailers that sell the products. I purchased mine from Brigette's Boutique and had a great experience. They are located in Wisconsin, which is close to me. I ordered on a Wednesday night and received my polishes via first class mail by Friday. So fast! Be warned, that the polish is $15.50, which is a on the high end for polish price points. But I'd keep in mind for nail art, it's comparable. Think about it--you need two bottles of nail polish for crackle, so $15.50 might be worth it!

Left Hand:



Right Hand:


These photos show two coats of Blue Gray Flow 03 and Golden Bronze 09 with one coat of Seche Vite for the top coat.
Thanks to Munqs for the background music for the video.

10 comments:

alison said...

For some reason the video wouldn't play and i Just don't get it...what does this nail polish "do?"

Erin said...

love love love this! Great tutorial too! :)

(Alison - are you trying to play on your tablet? Sometimes mine won't stream certain sites)

iPolished said...

I added a link to the vimeo site for the video. Basically the polish is magnetized and when a magnet is placed over the wet polish, it pulls the polish into the stripe pattern seen in the photos.

Kari said...

Good tutorial! It's neat to see it in video format - you can really see the depth. You mentioned that they recommend holding the wand "up to 10 seconds" over the polish. What happens if you go longer? Does it ruin it? Does it throw off the earth's rotation?

iPolished said...

I hear your fingers explode! No. Actually, i'm pretty sure you could continue to hold it, but it probably doesn't work much after 10 seconds. I found the nail polish dries pretty fast and once dried, no more magnetic pull. But that's all I know. Let me know if the tides start to be affected...

alison said...

Yeah Erin, my tablet. And i do see those stripes, guess I thought they were shadows:-)
Seems like an interesting idea though not as cool as if your nails turned into magnets..

jennysweetheart29 said...

Would you be able to marble the two polishes together and then use the magnet strip and have lines through a marble effect? Just curious how the polishes would interact. What happens if you try to go for a checkered look with both horizontal and vertical lines? What does it look like where both of the lines cross one another. And Yes Allison, if the nails turned into magnets that would be much cooler!

iPolished said...

Jenny, your question intrigued me. I had tried the checkerboard idea before you posted and it does give a fun effect. It actually doesn't show up so much in clear lines, but dots where the lines intersect. I hope to show a manicure with this some time, so keep looking.

As for water marbling, I hadn't even thought about it. So I did do a few tests. Unfortunately, it didn't yield that great of results. Because water marbling diffuses the polish, it dries much quicker. And I've found this magnet works best on very wet polish. I tried applying the magnet after my nail had the design on and before the design would go on my nail (while polish was still atop the water). Magnetizing did not, or barely worked once magnetic marble was on my nail, and although I got better results while the nail polish was still on the water (the magnets sort of worked where polish was more condensed), I couldn't really replicate it multiple times. It's possible if you did a really tight design, it could work, but in my opinion it might be more of a waste with polish that pretty unique all on its own.

I'll keep trying design ideas though! Thanks for the suggestions.

Olivia Frescura said...

pretty!

heatheryruth said...

I got some of this polish back in August, Looks like you have had WAY better results than me! :( I get about 2 nails to look good! I am hoping if I keep at it...maybe I'll get better! I always end getting my magnet TOO close and then messing up my nail! GRR! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...